Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Uninterrupted Conversation!

Vacations are supposed to be a time to relax and get away from all the “stresses” of life. Recently, I spent several hours on the beach by myself. It was one of the most relaxing times for me in a long time. I walked for several miles along the waters edge. My thoughts were as mute as my words. No one needed me. No schedule to keep. No bills to pay. Nothing. I was completely alone. Until….

Until I looked around and saw kids building sand castles, men and women getting sun tans, young boys with huge fishing poles casting out into the ocean, lovers holding hands as they walked, birds flying overheard looking for their next meal. People everywhere. Noise. The crashing waves. The sounds of boats and airplanes. I wasn’t alone, not for one minute. However…

However, I was able to put all the noise and people out of my mind. I was alone again. No noise, no people, no fisherman, nor boats; just me! I went to a place in my mind that only God and I could hear and know. It was peaceful. Joyful. Uninterrupted conversation.

Jesus on many occasions went to places where he could have uninterrupted conversations with his Father. They were deep conversations about spiritual matters. After all, Jesus was all about living up to the much-needed spiritual standards that were in contrast to what “religious” folks thought were the norm of the day.

Jesus spent much time in solitude. He got a way from all the hectic parts of life, people, and demands. Jesus disciplined himself in the routine of solitude so much that it became an integral part of his ministry.

As Jesus begins his ministry, he immediately goes into the desert alone (Matthew 4:1-4). Before Jesus chose his Apostles in Luke 6, he was alone all night praying. Before he went to his death, he sought alone time with his Father (Mark 14:32-36).

Developing the discipline of solitude takes work and time. However, it is a spiritual must for every believer. Maybe you remember the commercial several years ago that said: Calgon, take me away! We need time alone to refresh ourselves spiritually, mentally, and relationally. Teresa of Avila said, “Settle yourself in solitude and you will come upon Him in yourself.” Solitude is an opportunity to be in the presence of God, not in His absence, nor anyone else. Solitude gives us uninterrupted conversation with our Father!

Remember, Be God Controlled,

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment