Friday, August 22, 2014

Suffering Hurts


Suffering is a huge emotional roller coaster.  It drains our mind and energy.  It gives way to solving problems rationally and it is hard to concentrate on daily tasks.  Mostly though, it hurts.  It hurts badly. 

Some of our suffering is due to a death of a loved one, a sick family member, or consequence to a mistake that has been made.  Whatever the suffering, it still hurts.  It cuts us to the very core and fills us will pain of missing someone or it wraps us tightly with regret of a mistake we’ve made.

No matter the type of suffering, God is aware and is on the scene.  He doesn’t jump ship when the going gets rough.  He is patient.  He is kind.  He is grace.  The most important step we must take is TRUST!  Trust God in the journey.  Trust him when you are wrapped with guilt and regret.  Trust him when you are feeling very lonely and missing the person who left this world to be with God or the one that says, I’m done, I want a divorce. 

One of the benefits of being a God child is that knows your name.  He hears you loud and clear.  He is aware of where you are and what you are doing with your life.  Life can be harsh and demanding.  Suffering seems long and drawn out.  Questions are asked:  Why do I suffer?  How long is this suffering going to last?  What did I do to deserve this suffering?

We suffer in a variety of ways:  Physical.  Emotional.  Financial.  Relational.  And, spiritual.  At times, there is no explanation to the madness.  Peter said, “Friends, when life gets really difficult, don't jump to the conclusion that God isn't on the job. Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what Christ experienced. This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just around the corner.” 1 Peter 4:12-13 (The Message)

At times, it is very clear as to why we suffer.  For some, suffering is the consequence of bad choices.  The suffering one experiences was not brought on because God hates or takes great joy in seeing His children suffer.  One suffers because of sinfulness.  When we go against God’s best for us, the results are not good.  Does that mean God doesn’t love us?  Not at all!  However, Galatians 6:7 says, “A man reaps what he sows.”

Many have asked me, why do “I” suffer when I try my best.  I read my bible.  I attend “church”.  I give to charities.  I help my neighbor.  I am a good moral and spiritual person.  So, why do I suffer?  Peter says, “…But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.” 1 Peter 2:20b.  Also, in 1 Peter 3:17 he says, “It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.” Doing right isn’t always a smooth ride.  There are many examples throughout Scripture where the folks were doing right, but went through a very trying time of suffering:  Sharach, Meshach, and Abednego suffering – Daniel 3.  The Apostles suffering – Acts 5.  Paul’s suffering – 2 Corinthians 11:23-33.  Jesus suffering – Mark14-15.

The way we respond to sufferings is critical. We might have the tendency to play the “blame” game.  Or, we simply whine to God for “allowing” sufferings that we don’t deserve.  In the moments of suffering, it is difficult and is demanding of our attention.  But know that God is very aware of you.  God said in Isaiah 43:3 (The Message), “Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you.  I've called your name. You're mine.  When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you.  When you're in rough waters, you will not go down.  When you're between a rock and a hard place, it won't be a dead end—Because I am God, your personal God….” Jesus said, in John 14:1, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.”  God loves you deeply and forever!

Remember, Be God Controlled,

Brian 

No comments:

Post a Comment