Thursday, May 7, 2015

Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

I grew up in a home where “church” life was the norm.  No matter the weather, we were there.  If you were sick, suck it up!  When “gospel meetings” rolled around, we attended everyone one of them.  I remember my parents having the big name preachers of there time in our home for a meal – V.E. Howard, Jack Exum, Jule Miller to name a few.  We were the poster family for church involvement. 

My father was a deacon and served in the areas of benevolence and evangelism.  No mater how tired my father was, he took his service seriously.  My mother played the supportive role.  There were six children to take care of, plus my father. 

When I was twelve, I made a decision that I wanted to be a preacher.  I was kind of young to make such a career decision in the eyes of most people.  But, I knew.  As sure as I am right now of God’s purpose for my life, I was that sure at the age of twelve.  I still have the same Spirit-led feelings and the call to preach Jesus as powerfully today as I did thirty-six years ago.

On most Wednesday nights at our church, the young men were asked to deliver a short devotional.  I will never forget the anxiety I felt when my name was called to give the next devotional.  “I’m twelve!  What am I going to say?” I asked.  The preacher, Wayne T. Hall said, go home and asked your parents to help you.  You will do great!

My mother went into operation sermon mode!  I remember her spending hours on a five-minute talk.  She and I went over it and over it.  The title:  “Where will you spend eternity”.  This was a big time topic for a little bitty kid!  But, we did it!  I got rave reviews, hugs, and kisses on the cheek from the grandma’s.  But mostly, I got my start to preach the gospel from my mother. 

My mother wrote many of my sermons when I was a teenager.  I would have to stand in front of her and preach them!  It was exhausting.  Painful.  And, time consuming.   As I look back, it wasn’t all the training that I received in college, nor the experience I have had over the years that made me who I am today, but rather, a mother who tirelessly helped me fulfill God’s purpose for my life.

As I have matured over the years, I can see with better clarity the value my mother has had in my life.  While our home was not perfect and there are many memories I would love to erase from my mind, I cannot allow that to be the factor by which I live my life. God used my mother to get me to where I am today.

Although my mother died nineteen years ago, her teachings and the faith building are evident in my life.  The Apostle Paul said to Timothy that the evidence of his sincere faith came as a result of how his grandma and mother lived their lives (2 Timothy 1:5). 

Spiritual mothers are vital to kingdom living.  Mothers are used by God to point their children in the direction of their purposed life. And, when the children grow up, they will look back and echo the words of the Proverb, “Her children arise and call her blessed.”

Remember, Be God Controlled!

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment