Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Love + Obedience=God Honoring

Love + Obedience=God Honoring

During the 2004 Summer Olympics In Athens, Greece, at the Dora Stratou Theatre located near the Acropolis, the site of the Greek Parthenon; there was a sponsored event by True Love Waits that would help teens understand obedience to themselves, their dates, and to God. This event challenged teens to remain sexually pure until they get married. Over 450,000 teens from all over the world pledged to be obedient to this statement: "Believing that true love waits, I make a commitment to God, myself, my family, my friends, my future mate, and my future children to a lifetime of purity including sexual abstinence from this day until the day I enter a biblical marriage relationship."

Not only will “true love wait,” but true love for God will obey. Love is the driving force that will prompt us, motivate us, and give us the desire to be a Christ follower. Here me out: We do not obey to earn my salvation or get credit for right living. Obeying God does not save anyone. Jesus does the saving. However, obedience does demonstrate my love and thankfulness for all God has done for me without me ever asking.

Jesus said in John 14:21, "The person who knows my commandments and keeps them, that's who loves me. And the person who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and make myself plain to him."

Believers who are committed to living out God’s Word do so because of the sacrificial giving of God. The level of love for God varies from person to person. The more we get to know God, the more our love will deepen and our desire to live out our faith obediently, rather than a “have to” mentality.

Remember, Be God Controlled,

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment