Tuesday, August 9, 2016

#bestdecisionever!

As a kid, I use to sing a song called, “I am a Christian.”  It goes like this:  I am a C, I am a C-H, I am a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N and I have C-H-R-I-S-T in my H-E-A-R-T
and I will L-I-V-E E-T-E-R-N-A-L-L-Y

For me, deciding to be a Christian is by far the best decision I have ever made.  However, the decision meant that I had to really be careful how I lived, acted and talked.  Although the decision was mine, it meant that I represent Christ who is holy and I must ensure that I do not misrepresent him in any negative way by my lifestyle. 

It is extremely hard to be a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N sometimes. It is quite difficult to say no to sin.  Sure, there is quilt that follows, but in the moment, who is really thinking much about the aftermath of giving in to sin? Sin offers the fulfillment of our passions and desires.  Happiness is the ultimate desire for most of us.  Feeling the emotions of happiness and fulfillment are often the driving force of giving in to the very sins that cause a misrepresentation of who we are as a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N! 

Whenever the decision is made to become a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N, God gives us all kinds of help to keep C-H-R-I-S-T in our H-E-A-R-T so that we can L-I-V-E E-T-E-R-N-A-L-L-Y.  Think about it, God who is perfectly holy, completely righteous, and undeniably sinless provides all the resources to unholy, unrighteous and sinful people.  Why?  Because he desires for us to L-I-V-E E-T-E-R-N-A-L-L-Y with him! 

One of the resources God provides us with is his Spirit.  His Spirit is a gift to the C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N to lead her as she walks the lifestyle of representing a Father who “demonstrated his love for us while we were still sinners by giving us his Son to be the savior of the world by saving us from our sins.”  (Romans 5:8 and Matthew 1:21) (Paraphrased)

The Spirit digs deep into our heart and soul and takes up residence to produce life-changing characteristics so that each of us will represent God well.  Sin will not be the leading fulfiller of our life; the Spirit will take its place.  The Apostle Paul told the Galatia believers that when we “live by the Spirit, we will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.” Galatians 5:16 (NIV) Allowing the Spirit to work in our lives is crucial for our desires to be godly and honorable, not godless and dishonorable to the one we represent as a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N! 

The Spirit will provide everyone who makes the decision to be a Christ-follower a supply of fruit-seed that is cultivated in ones life.  The fruit seeds of:

-Love provides a heart-felt desire to be accepting towards everyone no matter the color, ethnicity, gender, religion or social values. 
-Joy is the sustainable inner emotion that keeps a person rooted inwardly with contentment when trials, hardship and struggles are beating a person up emotionally and physically. 
-Peace is the fruit that keeps us calm and steady because we know that the protector of the soul has provided us with the right seed to keep us from anything that can harm the eternal life. 
-Self-control gives us the ability to say no when the urge is to gratify the desires that are not honorable to God. 

Being a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N is by far the most important decision one makes in life.  It is hard.  It is challenging.  It is tough.  However, God never allows the Christian life to be without the resources to be successful in living it out every day.  Know that God loves you.  Provides for you.  Is rooting for you.  Is proud of you.  Prayerfully, all of us can sing, I am a C, I am a C-H, I am a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N and I have C-H-R-I-S-T in my H-E-A-R-T and I will L-I-V-E E-T-E-R-N-A-L-L-Y!

Remember, Be God Controlled!

Brian

1 comment: