Wednesday, October 26, 2022

God is More Than A Rainbow Maker

It was the last day of the year in 1978.  I was twelve.  And, it was my mother’s birthday.  It was a rainy day.  The darkness shown its face as we were traveling to a place to baptize my brother, Keith.  I was sitting in the back of the station wagon that had a seat facing the cars behind us.  We had lots of fun in the back of that ole station wagon.  But that night, I wasn’t laughing or making faces at the cars behind me.  I was praying.  Yes, praying.  The thunder was loud that night and the lightning was scary.

 

I wanted to be baptized, too!  I remember my prayer forty-four years later.  I said, “Dear God (that’s how I thought I need to address God because everyone else did) please get us to the church safely so that I can be baptized, too!”  God did and I did! 

 

I was told after I was baptized that all of heaven is rejoicing.  Truthfully, I couldn’t comprehend “all of heaven rejoicing” as a twelve year old, but I could feel the peace of God deep within me.  I felt a presence unlike I had ever felt in my short life.  I was no longer afraid of the lightning or thunder.  I knew that a power had entered into my body, but I couldn’t explain it.  I still feel that power forty-four years later.  The power is God’s Spirit.  The creator of the universe lives in me…ME!  Oh, that makes me feel so good; yet, I feel nervous.  I don’t want to make him feel unloved or unwelcomed. 

 

The Apostle John said, “God so LOVE the WORLD….” John 3:16.  At our worst, God is at his best!  Think about it!  God loved the world before he gave us his Son!  That means, he loved the thugs, murders, kidnappers, gossipers, liars, cheats, bigots and the list is endless so much more than we can ever imagine.  So, when I surrendered my life to King Jesus, that love God already had for me is demonstrated by giving me more.  Not only Jesus, but his Spirit, too!  Peter said to the mournful crowd, “Turn to God and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Acts 2:38. 

 

Ahhh, God is masterful at gift giving.  He is more than the creator of the universe and he is more than the rainbow maker and sea divider and lion tamer, he is dad.  He protects.  Provides. Loves.  He shows up at every event.  He cheers.  He cries.  He’s a proud papa. 

 

For forty-four years, I have experienced a heavenly dad who doesn’t quit on me when I am bad.  Actually, he doesn’t call me bad he calls me his son!  He will call you his son…his daughter.  He won’t bad mouth you when you cuss or drink too much or lie or cheat, but he will show you how to turn away from sin.  He won’t move out and tell you he will never come back.  But, he will say to you, I, The Lord your God will have mercy—[I] He won't destroy you or desert you.” Deuteronomy 4:31

 

I’m so thankful my heavenly dad goes with me everywhere and I can count on him every day for a lifetime.  I, we are blessed!

 

Remember, Be God Controlled!

 

Brian

1 comment: