Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Liar, Liar


Thomas Jefferson, the third President of our nation wrote a letter to his nephew Peter Carr in 1785.  Within the letter, President Jefferson weaves his message with words such as:  Truth, honesty, and integrity.  What stands out the most is the Presidents straightforward message to his nephew about lying when he wrote, He who permits himself to tell a lie once, finds it much easier to do it a second and third time, till at length it becomes habitual; he tells lies without attending to it, and truths without the world's believing him. This falsehood of the tongue leads to that of the heart, and in time depraves all its good dispositions.”

For me, I would like to say that I have never lied, however, that would be a lie.  I guess I could justify the times that I have lied, but in God’s eyes, there is no justification.  After the lie storm has passed, there is an enormous guilt feeling and the desire to make it right to those whom I have lied to.  I don’t wake up in the morning and say, I wonder how many times I can lie today.”  However, it is true that there have been circumstances that caught me off guard and instead of being straight up truthful, I concocted an answer that got me off the hook…so I thought! 

I have always told my kids, “it is better to tell the truth than it is to lie and I find out, for the consequences will be much more severe.”  Does that advice only apply to children?  Are parents and adult exempt from practicing what we teach?  Is there a standard for some and not for others? 

The Scriptures are clear about how God feels about lying.  Proverbs 12:22 says, The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in those who tell the truth.” (NLT)  The Apostle Paul told the Colossian believers, “Don’t lie to one another. You’re done with that old life.” Colossians 3:9 (MSG) And, Johns vision resulted in the destination of liars in Revelation 21:8, “…all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.” (NIV)

There is a chant some say when someone is caught in a lie, “Liar, liar, pants on fire.”  As a kid, I remember saying that very same chant to someone I knew was lying.  Pinocchio is a Disney character that every time he lies, his nose grows longer.  Some experts have said that there are ways to tell if someone is lying if they have excessive blinking, pupils enlarged, look up to the left, or a funny look on their face. 

CBS and Vanity Fair did a poll about lying in 2014:  One question was:  Should you always tell the truth?  56% said yes, while 42% said no.  If you were asked, does this dress make me look fat, how would you answer the question if indeed it did make her look fat?  Or, How do you like my new hairstyle?  You see there are so many questions that demand a truthful answer, but could possibly hurt the person asking.  According to the same survey by CBS and Vanity Fair, 42% preferred to be lied to. 

According to Scripture, it is never justifiable to lie.  Even though our desire is to protect our relationships, or ourselves honesty is always the best policy.  No matter if it is a bill collector, a spouse, a parent or a judge, truth is always best. 

If I could turn back time, I would re-do things I have done and lies I have told.  It is never a good feeling to regret something that has been done in deceit.  I suspect most would like a re-do and tell the truth no matter the circumstances.

The wonderful thing about God is that he is grace and mercy and forgiving.  He takes ours lies and forgives them and forgets them according to Isaiah 43:25,I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.” (NIV)

While it may take a bit to rebuild trust in those to whom we have lied to, the time it takes to rebuild will be worth it in the end.  Be honest.  Be truth.  Be integrity. 

Remember, Be God Controlled!

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment