Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Influence


One of the most incredible sections of Scripture is about how family relates to one another in the body of Christ.  Acts 2:42-47 describes how the earliest Jesus followers engaged themselves in the lives of one another and community. 

All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals and to prayer.  A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders.  And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need.  They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity…all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved.” (NLT)

Imagine for a bit being one of the first to surrender your life to Jesus and living among a group of people who deeply cared for each other so much that they were willing to share faith and family and possessions with anyone who was in need.  Incredible acts of selflessness were the norm for the young family of God. 

My first ministry was in a rural town in Alabama.  As a young youth minister, I was blessed to work with a preacher who loved me, helped mold me, and mentored me in ways I will forever be grateful.  His name was Ray!  A 6ft plus, stocky build, strong as an ox, white headed, booming voice when he preached Jesus, but a soft and gentle man when you sat in his living room talking about life.   

He was a giver.  He lived the Acts 2:44 model of giving to those who had need.  I remember on several occasions, I would go to the mailbox and find a check from Ray.  No reason.  No strings attached.  No hidden motives.  He gave because he loved.  He loved people.  He loved Jesus. 

Ray lived his life exactly the way the earliest believers lived their life…giving.  Loving.  Sharing.  Enjoying.  Praising.  Serving.  Providing.  Ray wasn’t a rich man in monetary wealth, but he far exceeded the wealthiest of them all by the way he share the portion God blessed him with. 

One of the most important ways believers influence the world for the better is by the way we treat each other in the family.  Notice that the financial help was not the only way each of the young believers acted toward one another; they also met together in one place, they worshiped together, they met in each others homes, they shared meals and they praised God and enjoyed the goodwill of one another. 

Imagine for a second a community of believers who lived the principles of the earliest believers.  I hear the slogan, “Get back to the bible.”  If we did, then communities all across our nation and around the world would have a spiritual awakening and revolution.  Towns in every nook and cranny from sea to shinning sea would transform into communities just like my friend Ray lived his life…giving.  Loving.  Sharing.  Enjoying.  Praising.  Serving.  Providing. 

It just might be possible that our marquees on our front lawns of our churches have hindered believers in Jesus to show our communities what believers are supposed to look and live like.  In our segregation, the earliest believers model of “family” may have been lost in some communities due to theological differences and church competition of who is the best and largest. 

Scripture never places the importance on the name of our churches; rather, Jesus places the importance of helping out the family and community when he said, For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing?  When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters you were doing it to me!” Matthew 25:35-40 (NLT)

The way our communities are changed for the better is for our churches to be giving.  Loving.  Sharing.  Enjoying.  Praising.  Serving.  Providing for one another. We must be united as believers in Jesus and begin to peal off the layers of deep division, past hurts and erase the lines in the sand. 

May Jesus’ church be a thriving, unifying, possession selling, gift giving, and unifying people of God!

Remember, Be God Controlled!

Brian

1 comment:

  1. Brian,
    Really appreciate you writing this. It seems My Soul needed feeding. This message is just what it needed! Thank You, Kim

    ReplyDelete