Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Why Was I Baptized?

As a young boy, what did I really know about being baptized? Well, I heard lots of sermons about it and I had been with my dad as he taught people about baptism and I read about it in the bible myself. 
 
As as young boy of 12, I knew the calling God gave me. It was strong and powerful. I knew that I was created to share Jesus' story and to help others experience the hope that Jesus offered.
 
So, at 12, I surrendered my life to Jesus as one of his disciples so that I could experience a life of hope and peace and love and grace and mercy and forgiveness. Yes, at 12! I knew that the only way to heaven was through Jesus. I knew that one needed to live and act like Jesus before they were ever baptized. I also knew that being baptized was an experience in which I would be forever connected to Jesus.
 
I was baptized because I wanted to be like Jesus! If Jesus was baptized, it only seemed right that I was baptized, too! I also wanted to experience the spiritual death, burial and resurrection connection with Jesus! I wanted to spiritually die to my sinfulness and resurrect into a new spiritual life with Jesus!
The moment that I came up out of the water, I knew, I mean, I really knew my life was changed forever! I knew the Spirit of God moved into my life and the hope I felt was incredible. 
 
I was not baptized to join a denomination or non-denomination church; rather, I was baptized to show my discipleship of Jesus outwardly.
 
I was not baptized to earn salvation; but rather, to be washed in the cleansing blood of Jesus Christ.
I was baptized because I knew that's what a follower of Jesus ultimately does and to showcase my love, respect and adoration for the One who paid the price so that my sins are forgiven. 
 
Being baptized is important. We should be. It connects us. It demonstrates our desire to be Jesus-like. It gives us an identity. It is biblical. 
 
What about you, why were you baptized? Or, would you mind me telling you about Jesus and how he is a life changer?
 
Remember, Be God Controlled!

No comments:

Post a Comment