Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Instructions are Not Always Easy to Understand, But Necessary!

Day 25: Exodus 12:1-49

 
Instructions are needed, but sometimes hard to understand. Products that need to be assembled have some of the most difficult instructions to follow. One Christmas, I purchased a desk for my son that I had to assemble. The desk came with step-by-step instructions on how to assemble it. The instructions were hard to follow since the parts were not numbered or color coded. So, the photo on the box was my best instruction...so I thought! I spent hours trying to match the parts, but ended up making a mess out of it. I finally got the desk assembled, but it was not exactly the way the photo on the box looked! I improvised a bit and had to drill holes to add screws due to putting a part into another part that didn't fit properly and was not able to get it out. My son noticed how bad it looked and all I was able to tell him was that Santa had a bad night and wasn't able to assemble it properly. I don't think he bought the lie! 
 
God gave Israel specific instructions on how to keep their firstborn sons from being killed during the final plague that would hit the Egyptians. God told the Israelites in Exodus 12 to prepare for the "Passover" by putting some of the blood from a lamb they are to sacrifice and place it on the door frames of their houses. "At night, God will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn-both men and animals...." 
 
God will not tolerate a blatant disregard or disrespect of him or of his instructions. Deuteronomy 11:26-27, "You will be blessed if you obey the commands of the Lord your God that I am giving you today. But you will be cursed if you disobey the commands of the Lord your God...." 
 
It is true that God is patient. Tolerant. Gracious. Merciful. And, forgiving, but it is also true that real love for God is shown in action through our obedience of right living. Jesus said it best in John 15:10, "In the same way, if you obey my commands, you will remain in my love." May we all seek to understand God's Word with clarity and with a motivation to live it out boldly and courageously!

No comments:

Post a Comment