Thursday, February 17, 2022

Commands 101 (Are Commandments Necessary?)

Day 48:  Deuteronomy 9:1-11:32

When I joined the U.S. Army, I raised my right hand and solemnly swore that I would protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic.  My promise meant that I would listen to, obey commands and orders, respect those who have authority over me and observe the Uniform Code of Military Justice.  I committed.  I promised.  I took and oath. 

Moses rhetorically ask Israel what God ask of them.  He answers his own question by telling them to...

1.  Fear the Lord your God
2.  Walk in obedience to him 
3.  Love him, 
4.  Serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul
5.  Observe the Lord's commands and decrees (Deuteronomy 10:12-13)
 
This post may not be the most popular!  We try to move as far away from a legalistic style of "religion" as possible.  However, I am not talking about "religion," I am talking about a relationship.  For the Jewish people of long ago, they did because God said do.  But there is more to them than doing.  They also did because they developed a trust in God after 430 years of captivity.  Trusting and loving and living in freedom was a process.  They needed to learn how to live free, yet with commands to follow so they could experience success in life...the Promised Land Life.   
 
Our freedom in Christ isn't without directives and command and truths that will lead us to experience spiritual success in live...the Eternal Life.  In our pursuit to follow the "greatest command," which is to love God wholly, we do so by being obedient to Jesus' teachings.  There is nothing legalistic about following spiritual commands as long as they are Jesus' commands and they lead us spiritually to experience a better relationship with Christ.  Following Christ sets us free.  It's allows us to live guilt-free.  It strengthens our relationship with Jesus.  It proclaims our loyalty in the One who gave us life...Eternal Life.   
Jesus says...
 
1.  "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it." Luke 11:28
2.  "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples." John 8:31
3.  "Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." John 13:17
4.  "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching."  John 14:23 
5.  "You are my friends if you do what I command."  John 15:14  
 
James said, "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."  James 1:22
 
The Apostle Paul said, "For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."  Ephesians 2:10 
 
I was a better soldier when I followed my commanders instructions.  I was at the ready for whatever the task was for that day, whether war or peace, my loyalty to the command was crucial for my success as a soldier.  
 
In Christ, my spiritual readiness is crucial.  Our loyalty to the commands of Jesus keeps us at the ready for whatever the task is for the day, whether spiritual war or godly peace.  We do, because Jesus made life possible...Eternal Life.

Remember, Be God Controlled!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment