Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Dad Washed My Mouth Out With Soap

Day 46: Deuteronomy 1:-4:40

When I was a kid, I got into trouble for saying a curse word.  I don't remember the word I said, but whatever it was, there were severe consequences!  Ivory soap in my mouth seemed to be too harsh for the "crime" that I committed.  According to my dad, the lesson of soap in my mouth was to wash out the nastiness of the curse word so that I would never say that word or any other curse word again.  

 

There were many lessons that I was taught growing up that I still remember today.  Don't lie, cheat or steal.  We were taught to work hard, be respectful and keep our word.  It was instilled in us to honor God by living like Jesus.  And, we were taught to talk to God often and to use the Scriptures as moral truths to live by.  

 

Moses reminded the Israelites about their purpose as God's chosen people.  He took them on a journey from the time they left Egypt and the struggles they had trusting God.  He shared with them the constant complaining and the lack of following God that it cost hundreds of thousands of Israelites from experiencing the Promised Land.  Moses instilled in the Hebrew nation to follow God's Word so that they will live long and well in the land of hope and prosperity.  Deuteronomy 1:1-4:40

 

Knowing our purpose in life gives us direction and a destination.  For Israel, their purpose was to listen to God's instruction and their destination will be the Promise Land.  For Jesus followers, our purpose is to listen to Jesus so that we reach our destination, which is our Promise Land...Heaven.  

 

Jesus said, "Seek first his kingdom and righteousness and all these things will be given to you."  Our seeking righteousness first leads a life of godliness, which leads to a life of holiness, which leads to a life with God.  Hebrews 112:14 says it this way, "Try to live in peace with all people, and try to live free from sin. Anyone whose life is not holy will never see the Lord."

 

Our purpose in life is to seek God's direction.  The Psalmist say, “I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me.” Psalm 57:2.  To lack God's direction means we lack the right relationship with God.  In order to rediscover the relationship and direction we need to light up our path to see clearly where we are going.  Psalm 119:105 say that "God's word is like a lamp for my feet and a light for my path."

 

It is easy to lose sight of our purpose.  Life gets in the way.  When we focus more on work, family or projects, we lose sight of the most important part of our life...God!   We must have balance in our lives.  There is nothing wrong with work, family and projects, as long as we keep God at the center of all of them. 

 

God made each of us for his purposes and plans.  He loves us deeply...eternally.  He will move heaven and earth for his children and will provide everything one needs to be successful in life.  Keep God first.  Love him, mostly.  

 

Remember Be God Controlled!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment